State of Data #75
November 17, 2011 Leave a comment
#TimeFlies – This is 75th episode of State of Data Newsletter. Thanks for your support and feedback. No SoD will be published next week, and during the 2 weeks’ of Christmas, like last year. Happy Thanksgiving in advance!
#analysis – ‘Understanding Uncertainty: How to visualize probability’ – excellent article from maths.org. +2
#architecture – Storage Infrastructure behind Facebook Messages
#big_data – “3 hrs in the life of a (glorified) Data Scientist” – we really spend more time in transport and re-transport of data because of formatting / quality issues than we do eating over our life!
#contest – Predict photo quality, help Pete Warden, Win some money, Better your Machine Learning skills. #PerfectWorld
#Data_Science – Quick Start in Tweet analysis using R
#DBMS – How to easily check for phone number using MySQL
#idea – How many iPads it would take to match world’s fastest supercomputer? 61 million if you are using iPad 2.
#learning – All possible SQL Injection use cases to try out (without any damage)
#visualization – Sweat Map - A chart for Marathoners
- Are you the world’s 4,444,687,446th person or 5,454,687,921th or something else? Find out yourself.
- France and its love for the number 20
- Google of Negative results – “text mining to mine null findings from a large database” “to map out the “incidentalome” for a given disease or trait i.e. the regions of the genome that turned out not to be associated with it”
- Per big data, which intersection is most dangerous for pedestrians? How long before it shows up in Map APIs?
- #QuantifiedSelf Wristband to track your wellness