State of Technology Last Week -#3
March 19, 2011
- Zediva streams new DVD releases, does not pay a single dime to studios and yet doing nothing illegal!? In short, they buy DVD and play it over internet one per request.
- Google found having “key technical skills” to be at the bottom of the 8 behaviors successful technology managers should emulate
- Facebook Hacker Cup – Championing “Alien Game”, “Safest Place” and “Party Time” problems within couple of hours.
- Omegle – a Chatroulette on SMS – from India – allows to chat on SMS with absolute strangers
#architecture – Lessons learned building a 4096-core Cloud HPC Supercomputer for $418/hr
#code – On pi-day – estimate pi in Python in ~10 lines of code
#design – ‘HTML5 – Moving from Hacks to Solutions’ –- Compelling metaphor — HTML5 is advanced because it has bigger “vocabulary”
#mobile – Ever bumped your iPhone with another and exchanged information? Like, LinkedIn iphone app. A great introduction to near-field communication on ARS is worth reading.
#saas – ‘Authentication Design Best Practices’ with OpenID, OAUTH, Facebook connect — SXSU talk from last week
#thoughts – Does ‘Twitterization’ make our brain ‘freeze’ when taking decisions?
#tool – Coolest Chrome API that may save annoying ads and precious CPU cycles – FlashBlock – blocks all flash from websites, unless you click on it.
#tweaks n’ hacks – Junkyard Jumbotron from MIT Lab – “take a bunch of random displays and instantly stitch them together in a large, virtual display”
- Watch the Royal Wedding route and several other buildings with new Google Earth, 3D
- Dynatrace blog talks about ‘major garbage collections during an application’s lifetime and how those affect the application’s performance’
- Serious Reading – Math of Tsunami vs. shallow wave propagation
#parting_thought – ‘I spent a year at home with my wife and four young children. But all I learned about work-life balance from that year was that I found it quite easy to balance work and life when I didn’t have any work.’ – On ‘How to Make Work-Life Balance Work’